An innovative and inspired practice of yoga, the Iyengar method was developed by yoga master B.K.S. Iyengar throughout a long career. BKS Iyengar, author of many books including the classic yoga treatise Light on Yoga, began teaching in Pune, India, in 1936 at the age of 18. His daughter, Geeta, and his son, Prashant, and his granddaugher, Abhijata, are also accomplished teachers and authors of yoga texts. B.K.S. Iyengar’s intense practice and almost seventy years of teaching have produced significant innovations in the teaching of the art and science of yoga. Achieving meditation in action, students learn to exist fully and vibrantly in the present moment.
Iyengar Yoga teaches strength and stamina, flexibility and balance, concentration and meditation. Iyengar Yoga is a refined, in-depth system of yoga that emphasizes safety, optimal body alignment, individual adjustment and attention to detail. It is uniquely suited to all levels of fitness and physical conditions, including the most inflexible. It is a profound, intelligent, rewarding and transformative practice of yoga especially for you.
In addition to addressing the needs of healthy people, the Iyengar method is now widely acknowledged and trusted by the international medical community for it’s documented efficacy in the treatment of various medical conditions and illnesses. Certified Iyengar teachers are held to unusually rigorous standards and know how to guide students of all ages and abilities. Deep-seated understanding and experience of the asanas allow instructors to teach appropriately the group in front of them. Classes are sequenced to promote health and skill in the body and stability in the mind. The total approach ensures that students progress from posture to posture, class to class and year to year.
What to Expect from this Method of Yoga
- Qualified and rigorously trained instructors committed to excellence in teaching. Only
- A safe and systematic progression of yoga postures to develop each student’s ability and skill, both within each class and from class to class
- Sequencing that develops strength, flexibility, stamina, concentration, and body alignment
- Individual correction and knowledge of how to adjust postures for common physical problems
- Precise use of language
- Demonstration and teaching of specific points to develop understanding and intelligent action
- Individual correction and adjustment of students, when necessary
- Integration of the yoga philosophy with the practice of asana
- Progressive and systematic approach that builds from the foundation learned in beginning classes to advanced classes.
- Incorporation and relevance of practice into daily life
- Ways to use yoga to ease various ailments and stress
- Use of props, such as blankets, blocks, and straps, to facilitate learning and adjust yoga postures to suit individual needs
Look for the Mark – The Iyengar Yoga Certification Mark is licensed only to certified Iyengar teachers.
A sign of commitment, excellence, clarity and depth of understanding.